2017 health trends included my favorite – the healthy cookie! Wow who knew that the perfect portable sweet snack could actually be good for you? Not only are the cookies delicious but many successful companies have been built upon these sweet treats.
Industry trade groups such as the Food Business News reported that the cookie category is the trending winner in the retail baking aisle. Up .92% vs 2016. Baking business.com reported in its report 17 Retail Bakery Trends for 2017 as health trends in the top 10. The total volume of baking business is $50 billion in sales annually.
Kookie Karma – Healthy Company Cookies Profile
Savvy entrepreneurs have capitalized on this trends and started successful baking companies selling health, vegan and gluten-free products.
Juli Novotny, a self-confessed health nut and Yoga teacher, started Kookie Karma 7 years ago. In 2017 they sell over 6,000 cookies a week all without white flour and refined sugar. Here vegan, organic products are considered raw foods. In 2004, she got her cookies and crackers on supermarket shelves in California. When the economic downturn happened in 2008 she formed an LLC and brought in a partner to get her company growing again. You can use this Legalzoom referral code to save 10% on all legal services.
Her business idea was borne of her own health problems and food allergies to soy, dairy, and gluten. Since so few stores had food she could eat she started creating her own recipes. After a year all of her health problems cleared up and a business was launched.
All of the Kookie Karma items only use organic ingredients and are vegan – which means they contain no dairy or eggs. She bakes the cookies in a low-temperature oven to just remove the moisture so they are still considered raw foods.
She had previously worked at a Whole Foods and there was her first customer. Expansion to other stores such as Jimdo in California then to New York, Las Vegas and across America. While she is private about her financial reports she did reveal that the sale is up 30% vs last year.
Top healthy baking trends include:
- Savory Muffins – Yesterday’s overly sweet and calorie-laden muffins are out and lean, clean eating savory muffins are in. They are a mealtime muffin such as southwest corn muffins and pretzel croissants are big winners.
- Clean Eating – Today’s educated, health-conscious shoppers demand to know exactly what ingredients are used in their baked goods. Consumers are ingredient and nutrition focused and will pay more for products that meet their dietary needs.
- Non-PHO Shortenings – The unhealthy fat, PHOS partially hydrogenated oils, are being replaced with better for your alternatives. Consumers have demanded healthier choices. Now bakeries are using palm and soy-based shortenings with tasty results.
- Eclairs Comeback – The old-fashioned French eclair is making a big comeback with creative twists by talented bakers. The classic choux pastry is filled with fruit cremes and decorated with chocolate.
- Individual Tarts – Continue to grow in success due to their small portion control size and good looks.
Health + Desert Comingle
Despite everyone’s efforts at good healthy living our love of dessert is not going away. In fact, in 2017, the pie category grew 16% – more than any other category such as cakes or pastries.
Great healthy cookie recipe even for those who want to lose weight!