Weight loss takes time.
Despite the abundance of fad diets, instant weight-loss programs and scams that promise quick weight drops, the truth is shedding even just a pound can depend on many factors: your current weight, basal metabolic rate, diet, sleep schedule and more. So when people ask, “How much weight can I lose in a week?” there isn’t a solid answer.
Still, there are some things you can do to shed 10 pounds of weight (more or less) within a certain period. Research, discipline, diet and the right tools can help you get there, but you also have to be kinder to yourself. You may have a target date to shed a certain number of pounds (e.g. a 6-month weight loss program), but keep in mind that everyone’s bodies react differently to workout programs and diet plans.
How Much Weight Can You Lose in a Week? And How?
So how much weight is it humanly possible to lose in a week?
According to the Mayo Clinic, it’s possible to lose a pound or two in a week. In general, losing 1 to 2 pounds a week requires burning 500 to 1,000 calories every day, through regular physical activity and a low-calorie diet.
Other experts suggest that it’s possible to lose 10 pounds (4.5 kg) in a week. However, many people strive towards this goal by participating in short-term yet intense diet plans, otherwise known as “crash diets.” These diets aren’t sustainable and healthy. They aren’t meant for the long run either.
But if you’ve decided to try the “Shed 10 Pounds of Weight in a Week” program, keep in mind that the plan is just short-term.
Here are some steps you can try:
- Eat whole foods and avoid processed junk foods. A simple diet based on whole foods can help you speed up the weight loss process. Consuming whole foods mean you consume fewer calories without getting too hungry. During the week, eat whole, single-ingredient foods.
- Reduce your carb intake; increase lean protein and veggie intake. A low-carb diet is an effective way to shed pounds and improve your health. A short-term decrease in your carb intake reduces bloating and water weight. Also, eat plenty of protein to reduce your appetite while boosting your metabolism. Cap off your diet by loading your meal plans with vegetables.
- Lift weights and try HIIT. Resistance training, like weightlifting, can help you shed pounds just as much as regular aerobic training can. You can maintain or add muscle mass and strength. Full-body resistance training workouts can also lower your body’s water weight and carb stores.
How to Lose 15 Pounds in a Month
Giving yourself a month to lose more pounds is far kinder than giving yourself just a week. However, similar to losing a few pounds in a week, the number of pounds you lose in a month depends on your body, diet and exercise.
But is it doable to lose 15 pounds in a month?
Realistically, it takes two to four months to lose 15 pounds, but you can shed the same amount in a month. However, it will be more challenging.
If you wish to lose 15 pounds in a month, consider the following plans:
- Strict fast. Eat at least two pieces of raw vegetables and fruit with a glass of water before you consume a 300-calorie meal. Fruits and vegetables fill you up quicker, reducing your hunger and cravings. Excessive fasting will also diminish hunger but consider this as an emergency plan.
- Workout all the time. Any exercise is good, but if you want to speed up the process, consider exercising with high-intensity fat loss workouts for at least 20 to 40 minutes, once or twice a day, three to five times a week. If you only have 10 minutes to spare, exercise two to six times per day, at least four times a week.
You can lose a pound or more in a day, a week or in a month but it all depends on your body, diet and current workout. Before you try losing more pounds in a week, consult with your doctor or trainer first.